Monthly Archives: October 2018

Toilet paper brands represented at race

WEAVING: Belinda Anderson and Nina Barker work their way through the rope course held at Buchanan Park. They are attached to the rope which wraps around numerous objects. Photo: Chris Burns. THERE were 19 teams competing in the Am-Isa-ng Race held in locations across Mount Isa on Saturday.
Nanjing Night Net

Each team was named after toilet paper brands.

“We think it’s funnier to be proud of random, weird names,” organiser Sean Casey said.

It was Team Fluffie that won the race, having competed the 14 challenges under 130 minutes.

The total time they would have taken to finish the race would have been longer considering it was only the challenges that were timed and not the time it took to get to each location.

Challenges including a rope course at Buchanan Park with obstacles including the cattle yard, trying to balance dominoes, using slingshots at Gallipoli Park, orienteering in the riverbed, and filling a bucket of balls at Tony White Oval while being tied back in a bungee cord.

Another challenge was to seek the ‘minion’ hiding in the central business district from up at the lookout, which first proved impossible due to a mix-up in locations.

The beloved Despicable Me character was first hiding in Sunset.

It’s the fifth race held by the Isa Community Church.

The associate pastor, Mr Casey, said that over that time the race had generated a reputation in the local events calendar.

“I felt we’ve taken more risks with the challenges and got more creative,” he said.

“One team registered and said it was their favourite day of the year.

“We’ve built up a good reputation in the city.”

The race concluded at Tony White Oval.

Other locations includedBuchanan Park, Gallipoli Park, and the Barkly Highway State School.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Popular Fremantle children’s service on the chopping block again

It’s not only mums who are relying on Buster to get in touch with other parents. Photo: Brendan Foster Pippa Louise and Sam are busy on the crafting table set up by the resourceful Buster staff. Photo: Brendan Foster
Nanjing Night Net

A popular Fremantle children’s service which has been running in the port city for more than 30 years is again facing the axe, with the Barnett government threatening to pull funding.

Buster the Fun Bus is a mobile parenting program run by Fremantle council that has been used by thousands of kids since it started in the port city in the mid-1970s.

More than four years ago the Barnett government cut funding for Buster, but it was forced to reverse the decision after a massive community campaign by parents.

Now the future of mobile playground is again in doubt, with the WA government saying it was not going to pay Fremantle council the $69,000 a year for the program after December 31.

Philip Cox was gutted his three-year-old daughter Pippa might no longer be able to use Buster.

Ironically, Mr Cox was there at the opening day of service more than four decades ago as a four-year-old.

“Buster is automatic for us,” he said.

“If Buster closed down we would lose a lot of connections in Fremantle.

“In Pippa’s time I’ve seen hundreds of kids come through.”

Claire Weller said it was the first time she had been done to Buster with her son Sasha.

“It’s a real shame,” she said. “We were even planning our mother’s group to come here just for another day to meet up.

“I think it is important because it gets you out of the house and into a different environment.

Sanji Gudka who was part of grassroots push to stop Buster closing down four years ago, said the service was too important for parents to lose.

“It’s so well-used and we come at least once a week – it’s part of our routine,” she said.

“There isn’t really much for kids aged between six months and two years that is free.

“I think it’s very important it continues.”

Fremantle Labor MP Simone McGurk said the Barnett government was “punishing parents” because it had mismanaged the state’s kitty.

“Parenting is the most important job in the world and any programs that help parents enhance their parenting skills is a good thing,” she said.

“The Liberal government has cut a rental subsidy to community based childcare centres and has cut Parenting WA and the Best Start programs.

“The Liberals do not value the role parenting programs and community childcare play in the lives of Western Australian families.”

Fremantle council is set to discuss the future of Buster at a committee meeting on Wednesday.

But the future of the children’s service is looking bleak with a report saying it’s doubtful the mobile parenting program would continue in its current form.

Local Government Minister Paul Miles said the government had set aside $565,000 to provide parenting services in next year’s budget for the south-west metro region, which would be allocated to councils through a tender process.

“The City of Fremantle, which operates Buster the Fun Bus, was eligible to apply for funding through this process, which is currently in the evaluation stage,” he said.

But according to a report by Fremantle council, it didn’t take part in the tender process it felt it didn’t have the capacity to deliver a new parenting model for an expanded age group from zero to 18 years old across a wider geographic area.    Follow WAtoday on Twitter

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Philippine court clears way to give Ferdinand Marcos a hero’s burial

Bangkok: A Philippine court has approved Ferdinand Marcos’ remains being moved to the country’s national Heroes’ Cemetery in a controversial verdict that will elevate the legacy of the late dictator.
Nanjing Night Net

Marcos killed, jailed and tortured more than 100,000 people and plundered US$10 billion ($12.9 billion) in state funds before he was toppled in a 1986 popular revolt, historians say.

Marcos also lied about having received medals, including the Distinguished Service Cross, during World War II, according to the National Historical Commission of the Philippines.

The verdict delivered on Tuesday in the Philippine Supreme Court is a victory for newly-elected president Rodrigo Duterte, who has fashioned himself as Marcos-like strongman since being swept into power in May.

Nine judges voted in favour and five against the re-burial in a verdict that is likely to further widen a divide between Filipinos who pine for Marcos’ authoritarian-style rule and those alarmed by human rights abuses under Mr Duterte, whose crackdown on drugs has left thousands dead.

The court heard heated exchanges as victims of the brutal Marcos years and human rights activists argued against the move.

Mr Duterte has openly admired Marcos and is a close friend of Ferdinand Marcos Jr, who narrowly lost a bid to become vice-president at the May elections.

“He was a great president and he was a hero. He had the idealism, the vision for this country,” Mr Duterte told reporters in September, referring to Marcos’ rule from 1969 until millions of protesters took to the streets in 1986 to force him to flee the country with his family and top cronies.

Debate over the re-burial forced a national reckoning over a contentious period of Philippine history.

Mr Duterte’s reversal of a ban by previous presidents and his appeasing of the still powerful and rich Marcos clan prompted anti-Marcos protests on Manila’s streets over recent weeks.

Protesters stood outside the court on Tuesday behind banners that read “Marcos is no hero”.

Hundreds of pro-Marcos supporters were also there, arguing the former president deserved a heroes’ burial not only as a former president but also a supposed decorated war hero and leader of a guerrilla unit that fought Japan’s occupying troops during the war.

But the National Historical Commission opposed moving the “eternally embalmed” body that has been on display in a mausoleum in Marcos’ northern home town of Batac City, saying his war record was “fraught with myths, factual inconsistencies and lies”.

The commission accused Marcos of lying about how he served in a guerrilla unit and how he rose to the rank of lieutenant colonel by 1947. Some research even indicated that he collaborated with the Japanese.

The US military, which holds all official World War II records related to the Philippines during the last war, has backed the commission’s findings, including conclusions over Marcos’ bogus medals.

Marcos’ 86-year-old wife Imelda, who is best known for leaving behind more than 1000 pars of shoes in 1986, has been pushing for her husband’s remains to be moved to the Heroes’ Cemetery since she accompanied the body back from exile in 1993, four years after his death.

Mrs Marcos was re-elected unopposed as a district congress woman in May and her daughter Imee is the governor of the family’s home province of Ilocos Norte.

Around 49,000 bodies are buried on 256-acre cemetery on military land, including late presidents, artists, scientists, dignitaries, military and police chiefs.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Valentine Holmes could be big winner after Cronulla Sharks release Ben Barba

Valentine Holmes could be the big winner from Ben Barba’s departure from Cronulla, a development that could free up for him the fullback position and the riches that come with it.
Nanjing Night Net

Holmes’ stocks are on the rise after he capped a premiership ring with a call-up to the Australian national team. The 21-year-old has been the beneficiary of a tour-ending injury to fellow Kangaroos winger Josh Mansour and is likely to retain his place in the side for the remainder of the Four Nations campaign.

Holmes played on the wing during Cronulla’s historic 2016 season and scored 19 tries, equalling the mark set by legendary custodian David Peachey. However, his long-term future is likely to be at fullback and the departure of Barba could fast-track his shift into the No.1 jersey.

The Townsville product is off contract at the end of 2017 and rival clubs have been free to negotiate with him since the start of November. Holmes’ market value is considerably higher as a fullback than as a three-quarter and a move to the back at Cronulla will only increase his asking price.

Sharks coach Shane Flanagan may yet consider Jack Bird as Barba’s replacement but shifting Holmes to the back would provide the least disruption to his title-winning squad. Barba was on a salary reported to be worth $800,000 a season and a chunk of that money can now be used to retain Holmes, considered one of the game’s rising stars.

Holmes’ season got off to an inauspicious start following an incident at an Emerging Maroons camp in January. The former Junior Kangaroo was one of several players to break curfew, resulting in them being ineligible for selection for last season’s State of Origin series. However, he is now an Australian representative just as it comes time to negotiate a new contract.

While the Sharks could use Barba’s money to recruit new players, their priority is like to be retention. Asked if the club was seeking replacements for the 2012 Dally M medallist, Cronulla CEO Lyall Gorman said: “We’ll speak to the coach and plan. Obviously the coach was offshore on a well-deserved [break] and fact-finding tour overseas. We’ll address that matter over time, it hasn’t entered our head just now.

“First of all we need to come to grips with where we’re heading with Ben and where we’re heading as a club in terms of supporting him.”

The Sharks have several stars coming off contract at the end of next year including Holmes, Bird, Paul Gallen, Wade Graham, Chad Townsend, Matt Prior, Gerard Beale, Sosaia Feki and Sam Tagataese. The club could also use some of the money they save on Barba to secure an outstanding crop of juniors, headed by promising hooker Jayden Brailey.

Gorman conceded a rival team could be the beneficiary of the club’s decision to release Barba, but his main concern was the player’s welfare. Gorman added that he expected controversial forward Andrew Fifita to fulfil his obligations at the club.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Australia vs South Africa Test cricket: Peter Siddle to miss second Test through injury, Jackson Bird on standby

Australia’s Test summer is nearing crisis point with Cricket Australia’s management of its fast bowlers set to come under scrutiny after Peter Siddle was ruled out of the second Test due to another back injury.
Nanjing Night Net

A team with major question marks over its batting is now running alarmingly low on proven Test quality quicks.

Uncapped paceman Joe Mennie appears certain to make his Test debut in Hobart ahead of Jackson Bird, who was placed on stand-by for Siddle rather than being drafted into the squad.

The bad news with Siddle comes a day after opener Shaun Marsh, who was one of Australia’s better performed players in the heavy first Test loss, was ruled out for the rest of the series with a broken finger.

There is now even more burden on the shoulders of Mitchell Starc and Josh Hazlewood, whom CA will be desperately hoping can play all five remaining Tests this summer.

Hazlewood is backing up after sending down a career-high 54 overs in Perth while Starc, who admitted to being underdone, bowled on four consecutive days as a result of Australia’s meek surrender with the bat in the first innings.

The left-armer’s 49.4 overs is a sharp spike on the 19 overs he bowled in his only warm-up match. He has shouldered a heavier workload in only two other Tests and on both occasions had a much lengthier gap before his next appearance in the baggy green than the break he has this week.

The ranks are thin behind the new-ball pair. Rising stars James Pattinson and Pat Cummins are on the comeback trail from injury and yet to play first-class cricket while Nathan Coulter-Nile is injured.

Siddle has an anxious wait to see how much cricket he will miss after after hurting his back in the first Test. Scans showed the injury is related to the stress fracture he suffered earlier in the year that forced him out of the game for eight months.

“Whilst we expect bowlers to be sore after Test matches, this was slightly worse than we expected and given that he was returning from a significant back injury, we organised some scans today,” Cricket Australia physiotherapist David Beakley said.

“The scans demonstrated some low grade bone oedema around his old stress fracture that is likely to be a flare up of his previous lower back injury.

“We are hopeful that this will resolve relatively quickly, but have withdrawn him from the squad for the second Test Match in Hobart. We will monitor his recovery and have a better idea of when he will return to play in the next week or so.”

It is the third time in the last 12 months Siddle, who had been one of the more durable quicks in the country, has pulled up sore in a Test.

He complained of back spasms in last season’s day/night Test in Adelaide and broke down in Wellington in February with stress fractures.

Siddle’s pace dropped considerably during the first Test, from around 130-135km/h into the low 120s in the second innings. Siddle bowled 38 overs after a limited preparation in which he played three one-dayers and a Shield game for Victoria.

Siddle’s injury will raise further questions over Australia’s lead-up for the series against South Africa.

Due to a cramped calendar, Australia’s Test players were given only one round of Shield games to prepare, which critics like former star Michael Hussey said was not enough. Coach Darren Lehmann has also said he would have liked more.

Former Test paceman Ryan Harris disputed claims players, particularly Siddle and Starc, were not ready in Perth.

“It’s easy to say that now – if they’d taken five-for each it wouldn’t have mattered,” Harris who along with former Test vice-captain Brad Haddin will join Darren Lehmann in the coaching staff for one-day international tour of New Zealand next year, said.

“They’re probably better off being underdone than overdone, put it that way; I used to always go into a game preferring to have not bowled as much because you want to be fresh.

“Should they have bowled a few more overs? Maybe. But they wouldn’t have played them if they didn’t think they were ready.”

Siddle last week said his experience would help him overcome any lack of conditioning.

“A lot of it’s mental and will power at the end of the day. Once you’re out there you cross that white line, the adrenalin kicks in,” Siddle said.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Recent Posts

Recent Comments

    Archives

    Categories

    Meta

    Info